A while back, Michele Banks and I were approached to create a new logo for microbe.tv. The podcast network is home to a range of science programs, but the bulk of the shows are about microbiology, a topic near and dear to both our #SciArt hearts.
We decided right away that wanted to retain as much of the feel of Michele’s distinctive watercolour style as possible while making the logo look clean at any scale. Michele started by painting a variety of shapes in miniature, all inspired by bacteria, viruses, and biofilms.
I created vector designs based on her paintings, added text, and played with arrangements. There were a lot of false starts, but we had a great deal of fun. It’s always a joy to work with someone with whom you share both artistic sensibilities and a love of snark.
In the end, the winning design was this one, which represents a typical plaque assay:
Sometimes projects don’t work out quite the way we intend. Sometimes you get done with a thing and think “wow, that is not what I was going for”.
A while ago I had the brilliant idea to make a vase in the form of the bacterial type III secretion system. This is basically an assemblage of proteins that some bacteria are able to make, which they use like a tiny syringe to inject stuff into cells that they want to hijack. It’s a pretty cool shape:
I took an unplanned 3-week break from the studio shortly after starting the base structure (the blue section). The shape was pretty much where I wanted it, but I needed to add the upper segments. Unfortunately by the time I got back in to the studio again, the main structure had dried too much to add pieces, so I had to make them separately and add them on. it didn’t really work as well as I’d hoped, and frankly I got a bit demoralized and rushed the collar section, so it’s not really the right shape or scale at all. I am pretty happy with the base and the detail I added on the underside, though, so I’ll definitely revisit this design later on down the road and try to do a better job of it. Heck, I might even try making it on the wheel.
For several years I’ve watched on Twitter as my art nerd friends made gorgeous ink-based illustrations for #Inktober. This year I finally got up the nerve to participate, despite that a) ink is not my medium and b) I haven’t drawn on actual paper in years.
I’ve decided to collect my various scribbles here for posterity. Here are this week’s #Inktober doodles. Click the picture to see the original tweet :)
Muddles even made a timelapse gif of me drawing the last one :)
I’ve always been more of a skirt-and-tee gal than an all-out dress-wearer. There’s something about a flouncy skirt that’s just a little sassier, a little more casual. While I’ve been able to offer some pretty nice clothing through RedBubble for a while now (albeit with depressingly low margins), I’ve long hankered for a skirt option. After a lot of research, I’ve finally found a way to make it happen without having to maintain a warehouse full of stock :D
I’ve partnered with an awesome Canadian company that makes great activewear to be able to offer not only skater skirts, but also capri-length yoga pants that are actually tough enough to stand up to some fitness-related abuse. For now I have five skirt styles and one yoga pant, but I’ll definitely be offering more in the near future, so watch this space.
I recently received this really fun commission request from @TCNoel, a microbiology professor and outstanding human being. Even though the design I came up with meant going a little outside my comfort zone, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to have a little fun with this one. I had to play around a bit with different types of wire to figure out how to manage the bipolar flagellae. I had to make sure it was going to hold its shape well even with regular wear. I finally settled on a 20ga memory wire, which was a bit of a pain to work with and chewed the heck out of my fancy new wire snips. Still, totally worth it, I think :)