Wood Gone Viral!

After seeing how amazing my first batch of laser-cut wood designs turned out, I decided I needed to make a LOT more!

With the approach of ASV 2018, viruses were the obvious choice. It doesn’t hurt that viruses lend themselves beautifully to a clean, graphic style that works so well in this medium! I came up with five new virus designs, covering a broad range of known virus families.

With so many recent business expenses, the only way I can get these done is with a bit of external funding. That’s where you come in! I’ve created an IndieGoGo campaign, “Wood Gone Viral“, where you can support my art efforts and get one or more of these awesome new designs! Of course not everyone is a huge virus nerd like me, so I’ve also created a reward level that lets you choose from a limited selection of the earlier wood designs instead. Or, if you just want to show my campaign a little love on a tight budget, you can get an exclusive photo of one (and if you’re lucky, both) of my beautiful kitties, or a set of virus stickers!

I’m pleased to announce that the campaign is halfway funded, but there’s still a long way to go, and only 17 days left to get there. I also have some fun stretch goals planned, so the more love this campaign gets, the happier we’ll all be!

Please share this with all your friends and help me make ALL THE THINGS!

Advertisements

Project: Type III Secretion System (T3SS) vase

Sometimes projects don’t work out quite the way we intend. Sometimes you get done with a thing and think “wow, that is not what I was going for”.

A while ago I had the brilliant idea to make a vase in the form of the bacterial type III secretion system. This is basically an assemblage of proteins that some bacteria are able to make, which they use like a tiny syringe to inject stuff into cells that they want to hijack. It’s a pretty cool shape:

Figure from: Structural and functional genomic analysis of the salmonella enterica host-restricted serotype abortusovis by Massimo Deligios

 

I took an unplanned 3-week break from the studio shortly after starting the base structure (the blue section). The shape was pretty much where I wanted it, but I needed to add the upper segments. Unfortunately by the time I got back in to the studio again, the main structure had dried too much to add pieces, so I had to make them separately and add them on. it didn’t really work as well as I’d hoped, and frankly I got a bit demoralized and rushed the collar section, so it’s not really the right shape or scale at all. I am pretty happy with the base and the detail I added on the underside, though, so I’ll definitely revisit this design later on down the road and try to do a better job of it. Heck, I might even try making it on the wheel.

Vexed gear in the wild

I love when customers send me photos of themselves wearing my designs. It’s probably my favourite part of the business side of what I do (of course the art side is allllll about playing with mud and vector tools). Here are just a few of my favourites :)

You can get the shirts (and other fun gear) in my RedBubble shop and the jewellery in my Etsy shop. And don’t forget to send me a photo!