Inktober is almost at an end! I’m finding myself a bit ambivalent about the month coming to a close. I’m a little relieved that there will no longer be so much pressure to find time to draw Every. Single. Day., but it’s also been a lot of fun and a great challenge for me. Since I’m naturally rather lazy (and simultaneously extremely busy due to work + business), I’m concerned that I won’t keep up with playing around in traditional 2D media. I know myself too well to believe that I’ll make time for it without having some sort of specific time-limited challenge or goal, but this is something I want to keep mucking about with. So, I put it to you, dear readers: what is my next challenge? How do I keep driving myself to play with actual pigment on paper? I welcome your suggestions, either here or on Twitter.
While you mull that over, here are this week’s offerings. As always, you can click to see the original tweet.
Week 3 of #Inktober on Twitter is complete! I splurged and bought myself some decent pens midway through the week so I’m no longer stuck with Sharpies pilfered from the lab :)
Previous #Inktober posts: Week 1 Week 2
As usual, you can click on the images to go directly to the original tweet.
A while back, Michele Banks and I were approached to create a new logo for microbe.tv. The podcast network is home to a range of science programs, but the bulk of the shows are about microbiology, a topic near and dear to both our #SciArt hearts.
We decided right away that wanted to retain as much of the feel of Michele’s distinctive watercolour style as possible while making the logo look clean at any scale. Michele started by painting a variety of shapes in miniature, all inspired by bacteria, viruses, and biofilms.
I created vector designs based on her paintings, added text, and played with arrangements. There were a lot of false starts, but we had a great deal of fun. It’s always a joy to work with someone with whom you share both artistic sensibilities and a love of snark.
In the end, the winning design was this one, which represents a typical plaque assay:
Sometimes projects don’t work out quite the way we intend. Sometimes you get done with a thing and think “wow, that is not what I was going for”.
A while ago I had the brilliant idea to make a vase in the form of the bacterial type III secretion system. This is basically an assemblage of proteins that some bacteria are able to make, which they use like a tiny syringe to inject stuff into cells that they want to hijack. It’s a pretty cool shape:
I took an unplanned 3-week break from the studio shortly after starting the base structure (the blue section). The shape was pretty much where I wanted it, but I needed to add the upper segments. Unfortunately by the time I got back in to the studio again, the main structure had dried too much to add pieces, so I had to make them separately and add them on. it didn’t really work as well as I’d hoped, and frankly I got a bit demoralized and rushed the collar section, so it’s not really the right shape or scale at all. I am pretty happy with the base and the detail I added on the underside, though, so I’ll definitely revisit this design later on down the road and try to do a better job of it. Heck, I might even try making it on the wheel.
For several years I’ve watched on Twitter as my art nerd friends made gorgeous ink-based illustrations for #Inktober. This year I finally got up the nerve to participate, despite that a) ink is not my medium and b) I haven’t drawn on actual paper in years.
I’ve decided to collect my various scribbles here for posterity. Here are this week’s #Inktober doodles. Click the picture to see the original tweet :)
Muddles even made a timelapse gif of me drawing the last one :)
One of my big projects from last winter was a Zika virus vessel. It’s a semi-functional piece – you could use it as a candy dish or some such, but it’s a bit cumbersome for everyday use.
The main structure is two half-spheres (one for the base and one for the lid), on which I sculpted the capsid proteins in my best approximation of the correct symmetry for this virus.
I left the capsid coat incomplete, because at the time that I was working on this piece, the Zika outbreak was still very much a developing problem, and I suspect we’ve far from seen the end of this virus’s potential.
For the pedestals, I’ve incorporated three of the Zika virus’ primate hosts (capuchin, marmoset, and of course human), and included infants for the human and marmoset figures to represent the tragic effects of this virus on a developing fetus.
I also incorporated the virus’ vector, mosquitoes in the Aedes genus, to complete the cycle. Both adult and pupa stages are shown to remind us that control for these vectors begins with environmental and cultural conditions.
I used a watery blue glaze for the uncoated middle section to evoke the water in which the mosquito hosts lay their eggs, and because it makes the whole thing look a bit like a globe – Zika isn’t just a local problem, and diseases like it have the capacity to cause great harm on a global scale.
All told, this beast took about 6 months to complete. While I spent much of that time cursing myself, the clay’s drying speed, and Zika’s complex capsid pattern, I’m pretty pleased with the final outcome.